Labor Day Weekend

So, is summer over?  Or, is this just a day on the calendar like any other?  With the weather over the weekend, I’d say summer is here for a while.

I got out for a kayak paddle around Duck Lake again on Sunday morning.  It was a quiet morning, not much in the way of wildlife.  Here are some of the “keepers” from the morning.

This pair of turtles were balanced on a birch log sticking out of the water.

Pair of Turtles

Pair of Turtles

A white water lily is reflected in the ripples of Duck Lake.  It is probably one of the last ones of the summer.

Water lily reflections

Water lily reflections

I don’t know what kind of duck this is, but it was diving for breakfast as I watched.

Lone duck

Lone duck

This heron was across the southern bay of Duck Lake looking for breakfast.

Heron

Heron

I hope everyone had a great holiday weekend.

Mark

This entry was posted in Orchestra Camp Colony and tagged , , , , .

9 Comments

1. Celia Ebert September 8, 2015 at 7:02 pm #

Lovely….just lovely…. C

• mfyancey September 9, 2015 at 7:40 pm #

Thanks, Celia. I’ll try to keep posting this fall and winter for all you snowbirds. Safe travels.

2. Karen Burns September 8, 2015 at 10:22 pm #

lovely reflections on that water lily ~

• mfyancey September 9, 2015 at 7:38 pm #

Thank you, Karen. I love these water lilies, but they were mostly gone this weekend.

3. Jane September 9, 2015 at 9:09 am #

Hi Mark, glad that you had a good weekend at Duck Lake. So did we. Several good days for kayaking and fishing. I didn’t see much in the way of wildlife, either, other than an immature eagle in the south bay, lots of turtles, some loons, and a couple of cormorants down in our bay. Yesterday was a good day to leave the lake behind, as it started raining in the morning and the weather followed us all the way home to Indiana. I think that was the end of summer weather in northern Michigan. Next up….probably leaf raking.

• mfyancey September 9, 2015 at 7:37 pm #

Jane – I hope this isn’t the end of summer. OK, we may not have any more 90 degree days (and that’s OK), but I am hoping for some nice weather ahead, then beautiful fall colors.

4. madcitydon September 10, 2015 at 9:38 am #

You’ve outdone yourself with the water lily photo. Stunning!

• mfyancey September 10, 2015 at 2:25 pm #

Thank you. As I said above, I love these white water lilies, but it’s hard to find one that is in really good shape and then get the good lighting like this one.

• bstcell September 10, 2015 at 2:34 pm #

I echo the praise of your latest pics and the gratitude for sharing them with all of us. I totally agree with Don that the waterlily pic is stunning.